Development Specialist Job Posting
The Development Specialist is responsible for the philanthropic activities of the organization. Reporting to the Executive Director, this position will play a key role in the evolution and implementation of fund development and communication strategies and activities to secure revenue for the organization. In partnership with the Executive Director, the role will build and cultivate relationships with prospective and current donors, in addition to a diverse group of community stakeholders. The Development Specialist is an experienced fundraiser who is passionate about helping young people with a demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with staff, volunteers, participants, and other stakeholders to develop and nurture relationships in effort to achieve our vision, mission, and strategic priorities.
This is a part-time position (up to 20 hours per week) working between Monday to Thursday. A flexible schedule and willingness to work some evenings and/or weekend hours may be required from time to time to meet the needs of the role and organization. Some inner-city travel may be necessary.
- Build and implement a comprehensive fund development plan focused on The Doorway’s key priority areas and revenue generation
- Work collaboratively with staff to develop and update resource documents such as the case for support, solicitation packages, key messages, and other promotional materials in support of fund development initiatives
- Plan, implement and monitor annual resource development, communication and stewardship strategies in effort to achieve annual revenue targets
- Research and develop a strong donor pipeline with a focus on major gifts within foundation and corporate giving programs
- Increase revenue from individual donors through online donations, direct mail, special events, third-party events and individual major gifts
- Support the planning and implementation of internal and third-party fundraising and awareness events including securing in-kind donations and event sponsorship
- Strategically use campaigns and events to raise the profile of The Doorway to create meaningful opportunities for donor and community engagement
- In collaboration with the Executive Director, research and prepare grant proposals
- Develop all donor communication materials as required, including donor correspondence, thank you letters, appeal letters, etc.
- Track and report on the impact of fund development efforts including social media and website platforms and provide recommendations on how to leverage technology to support increased donations
- Develop and implement a donor recognition and cultivation program
- Monitor trends in the community and industry to adapt donor outreach and engagement strategies
- Ensures donor contacts and actions are recorded in the fundraising database while maintaining data integrity
- Work collaboratively with all stakeholders including staff, volunteers and participants to ensure service excellence, fiscal accountability and strong outcomes
- Act as an ambassador of the organization and practice ethical fundraising in accordance with charitable giving standards in keeping with the mission and values of The Doorway
Qualifications, Competencies and Personal Attributes
- Post-secondary diploma or degree in Fundraising, Communications, Marketing or related field
- 3+ years of non-profit fund development experience with a proven track record in raising funds for non-profit organizations from a variety of community sources
- Experience with, and demonstrated passion for, supporting young people in our community considered an asset
- A combination of relevant education and experience, including business development or sales, may be considered
- Demonstrated alignment with The Doorway’s values and principle-based approach
- Sound knowledge of best practices in donor cultivation, recognition and stewardship with demonstrated success in growing and engaging a diverse donor base
- Direct working experience with industry-standard CRM systems in the cultivation of donor relationships and data management
- Prior experience leading digital and social media strategies to build brand awareness and engagement
- Good standing membership with Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP) preferred
- Working knowledge of Donor Bill of Rights, Fundraising Code of Ethics, Alberta’s Charitable Fundraising Act, and Canada Revenue Agency regulations considered an asset
- Demonstrated success in achieving annual revenue targets through grant writing, sponsorships, individual and corporate giving opportunities
- Exceptional writing, presentation and networking skills
- Creative problem solver with a proven ability to execute while working within financial constraints
- Proven ability to develop collaborative working relationships, both internally and externally, with a diverse group of stakeholders
- Ability to coordinate multiple long and short-term projects simultaneously meeting all related deadlines
- Goal-oriented, resourceful and motivated
- Personable, inclusive and welcoming in nature
- Proficient working with Microsoft Office 365
The Doorway offers a competitive compensation package that is commensurate with non-profit industry standards.
If you are passionate about making change possible in the lives of young people in our city, please email your resume and cover letter indicating salary expectations to Jennifer Stacey, Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org referencing the position title in subject line.
Deadline for applications is September 25, 2020. No phone calls please. We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. For further information about The Doorway please explore our website, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.