Board of Director
The Board of Directors support the mission of The Doorway through governance, strategy, advocacy, awareness, fund-development and more. Directors meet for monthly meetings either as a whole or in committees to see through successful completion of current organizational needs and priorities. A variety of professional skill sets (ex. law, marketing, design, accounting, event planning, social sector/human services, IT, leadership/innovation) matched with a passion for young people will make for a strong candidate.
- Minimum 3 year term
- 4-6 hour commitment per month including a minimum of one evening meeting (with occasional additional hours for extra events and activities ex. Run/Walk Fundraiser or Annual Strategy)
- Meetings can occasionally be attended virtually and completion of hours outside of meetings time can be flexible
- A resume with letter of interest will be requested
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
One Day Only Opportunity
Our Cowboys casino fundraiser is an amazing opportunity this holiday season to make a real impact for young people living on the streets in Calgary. By donating your time, an individual 8 hour shift could be responsible for The Doorway receiving anywhere between $1600 – $1700! We would like to extend our immense appreciation to our returning volunteers, this is the impact you made last year.
When: Tues Dec 22 to Thurs Dec 24 (variety of day and evening shifts)
Where: Cowboys Casino
Why: Young people deserve a safe, quiet, positive place to THINK about how they can get off the street.
How: Volunteers will be trained on-site for roles such as chip runner, count room or cashier.
Each year our Casino Fundraiser covers the costs of 18 months of rent and utilities at The Doorway. ￼ These funds are critical as our approach begins by giving a young person space. We value providing them with quiet, safety, internet and good food. When they are ready community volunteers and staff are there to listen and support them in planning their way off the street. These same people also volunteer at the Casino Fundraiser and may share a shift with you. We are all looking forward to December!
Cultural Interpreters directly support young people every day in our space! We are eager to welcome and train new volunteers as we grow a stronger and more diverse group of community members to support our young people. Community members working alongside young people, witness individual Planning Processes and LEARN about leaving the streets culture.
We also engage community members:
1. With professional skill sets that could contribute to the success of The Doorway (Event planning, Fundraising, Research, Web Design, Etc.)!
2. Who have the time and attention to give and prefer task oriented positions (Data entry, Event support, Community Corner etc.)
Please contact email@example.com to inquire.
PURPOSE: Learning the role of community impact for young people
Each Internship Opportunity is determined on an individual basis.
The Doorway purpose and goal for each experience is to maximize the unique fit each person brings to the learning opportunity. Particular emphasis will be to explore and understand the role of community participating with young people building self-determined personal change.
- The Doorway offers flexible internship opportunities tailored to the learning goals of each individual student, community member, organization, … interested person.
- Students : We seek 2nd and more years of study as a ground for consideration of your own commitment toward potential personal practice .
- Mature students and University and College Practicum placements and are always welcome to apply.
- Time frame of each placement will be negotiated on a mutually agreed and created contract basis as required be each individual circumstance and goals.